- Buoy Health Covid-19 Symptom Checker. Massachusetts has launched a new resource that residents can use to assess symptoms and find the right care. Buoy will connect you with the appropriate health care resource based on your symptoms and risk factors for COVID-19.
- Red Cross Virtual Family Assistance Center. Support services for families and communities who have suffered loss as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic provided by a staff of specially trained mental health, spiritual care, and health services volunteers. Services include providing support for virtual memorial services for families, hosting online classes to foster resilience and facilitate coping skills, and assisting families with access to national, state or local resources such as grief counseling, legal resources, funeral information, financial information services, or veterans’ assistance. People without internet access can call toll-free 833-492-0094 for help. All Family Assistance Center support is provided virtually and is completely confidential and free.
- The MassSupport Network provides free community outreach crisis counseling and support around issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Email MassSupport@riversidecc.org or call (888) 215-4920. Services provided in English and Spanish. Offered through Riverside Trauma Center and the MA Department of Mental Health.
- COVID-19 Help from the City of Somerville. Tips on managing stress, links to access counseling, recovery resources, help for survivors of domestic violence, and more.
Find Health Care and Social Services
- Aunt Bertha. A free-to-use online platform that anyone in the US can use to find and apply for social services, from Medicare to food stamps to housing, by typing in a ZIP code.
Mental Health and Crisis Counseling
Boston Emergency Services Team (BEST). If you or someone in your family is experiencing a mental health crisis, BEST is available 24/7 at 1-800-981-4357. Trained staff can provide support, information, referrals, or arrange an in-person evaluation. BEST provides a comprehensive, highly integrated system of crisis evaluation and treatment services to the greater Boston area under the leadership of Boston Medical Center with support from the Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership.
Samaritans. If you are feeling sad, lonely, hopeless, or suicidal, Samaritans can help. Call or text their 24/7 helpline any time at 877-870-4673. Services are free and confidential.
Disease Descriptions and Symptom Checkers
- Mayo Clinic - Diseases & Conditions. Comprehensive guides on hundreds of medical conditions and diseases. Use the “Symptom Checker” to find possible causes.
- Medline Plus. Find free, authoritative information on health conditions, medical tests, medications, dietary supplements, and healthy recipes. Medline Plus is a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the world's largest medical library, and a part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Merck Manual (Consumer Version). Free resource that provides clear and easy to understand information authored by medical experts on thousands of medical topics.
- Isabel Symptom Checker. Isabel is designed to help you understand more about possible conditions and assist you with where to seek care for your symptoms.
*Please note that the above resources are for informational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate attention please call 911 or the number for your local emergency service.
Pharmaceutical Drug Information
- Drugs.com. Provides information on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products.
- Drugs@FDA: FDA Approved Drugs. Provides information on prescription and over the counter drugs approved for human use in the United States.
Affordable Care Act. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is the comprehensive health care reform law enacted in March 2010 that increases health insurance coverage for the uninsured and implements reforms to the health insurance market. Learn more here, and read the full text of the law on HealthCare.gov.
You can also enroll for health insurance on HealthCare.gov. Read about health coverage choices, ways to save, and how the law affects you.
Subsidized Insurance Providers. Health coverage available at reduced or no cost for people with incomes below certain levels.
- MassHealth: Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and Medicaid. In Massachusetts, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) are combined into one program called MassHealth. MassHealth members may be able to obtain doctors visits, prescription drugs, hospital stays, and many other important services.
- Mass Health Connector. The Massachusetts Health Connector is the state's marketplace for health and dental insurance. Preview health and dental plans and prices in your area, and visit the Help Center for information, guides, and where to find free, in-person assistance near you.
- Medicaid. Medicaid is an assistance program for low-income patients' medical expenses. In Massachusetts, Medicaid is administered through MassHealth.
- Medicare. Medicare is federal health insurance for people 65 or older, some younger people with disabilities, people with End-Stage Renal Disease. Find health and drug plans, find a provider or facility, learn what's covered and what it costs.
Private Insurance Providers. Find information on coverage, benefits, and how to find a doctor. Members can sign up for an online account or access their existing account.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Fallon Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan
- Tufts Health Plan
Hospitals & Doctors
- CHA Somerville Campus. Formerly known as Somerville Hospital, CHA Somerville Campus is now an outpatient center offering urgent care, primary care, women's health, surgery and specialty consults, a GI Center, a Sleep Lab and the CHA Eye Center.
- CHA Cambridge Hospital. Acute care hospital offering 24-hour emergency care, primary care for all ages, maternity, surgery and specialty services. Overnight hospital care is available for a wide variety of needs.
- Mount Auburn Hospital. Comprehensive inpatient services in all medical specialties.
- Harvard Vanguard - Somerville. Provides primary care for adults and children, and a wide range of medical and surgical specialty care.
Updated July 2020