The Somerville Public Library welcomes exhibits that represent Somerville's cultural diversity and vibrant artistic community.
Learn more about the Gallery @ SPL.
The Somerville Public Library is delighted to announce an open call for artists and art exhibitions for 2023. Submissions will now be accepted on a rolling basis.
Works in all media will be considered, including photography and three-dimensional art that can be hung, with the exception of sculptures. Somerville residents or organizations serving the Somerville community are encouraged to apply.
Selected artists/exhibitions will be given a showing in the 2023 calendar year.
Exhibits are selected for monthly shows in the Library Auditorium on the basis of:
- Quality of the artist's work based on completeness of application and thoroughness of support materials
- Clarity of artist statement
- Diversity and balance in schedule of exhibits
- Exhibit history (preference may be given to new or first-time exhibitors)
- How closely the exhibit or artwork complements the library's Rules of Conduct and Meeting Room policies, and
- Benefit to the Somerville community
In order to be considered, artists or groups of artists must submit their application in one of two ways:
- Complete the Online Submission Form (requires a Gmail account) OR
- Complete the Gallery Submission Form, an Artist Statement (no more than 2 pages), and submit at least four (4) images of the proposed exhibit's artwork. You may email these to email@example.com, or drop off all documents at the Central Library Reference Desk at 79 Highland Ave.
We would like to thank all artists for the care and time taken in submitting applications. All artists will be notified within one (1) month of their submission.