Guide to the Collection
- Somerville Materials
- Historic Somerville Digital Collections
- Major Resources
- Massachusetts Materials
- Local Newspapers
These books and pamphlets are arranged in the same Dewey Decimal order as the regular collection, with a couple of anomalies:
- The call number for all Somerville materials in the Local History Room starts with an "S" for Somerville.
- Any trailing zeros in the call number have been omitted.
- For example, "S010" is shortened to "S01"; "S200" becomes "S2", and so on.
- SPL Collections on Digital Commonwealth - Includes Somerville photographs and ephemera from the late 19th and early 20th century Somerville.
- Historic Somerville Photos - A curated collection of historic Somerville photos posted on Flickr.
- SPL Materials on the Internet Archive - Maps, photographs and texts including Revolutionary War maps, photographs of public art, environmental reports, and City Annual Reports from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Walking Tours of Somerville - A variety of walking tours of different areas of Somerville, produced by Somerville City TV.
Somerville Annual Reports. In the library: paper copies from 1844 to the present. Reports from 1844-1924 are available electronically via Internet Archive. Published every year by the city, these include statistical and status reports from departments within the city government.
Somerville City Directories
- Charlestown City Directories, 1834-1874. Microfilm Cabinet. Until 1842 Somerville was officially part of Charlestown.
- Somerville City Directories, (1851-1933, 1939-present) Organized by name from 1851-1933. Organized by ward, precinct and address from 1939 to the present.
- Somerville City Directories available online - scroll down for links to digitized directories from 1869-1919.
Somerville Poll Tax Directories
- 1887-1938 (microfilm only). Published by the city, this is a list of city residents, arranged by Ward and Precinct, then street address. Before 1920, only men were listed.
Somerville Student Magazines and Yearbooks
- 1882-1884, 1895 - present (paper and microfilm). This collection includes the student magazines and yearbooks for Somerville High School Radiator, the Somerville Trade High School Trade Winds and the magazines for the Southern, Western, and Northeastern Junior High Schools.
United States Census
- 1790 - 1900 (paper and microfilm). For 1790, we have the census in printed form for the six New England states. For the other years (1800-1910) the census is on microfilm.
Somerville and Boston Area Phone Directories
- 1911 - present, with some gaps. Paper and microfilm. Available in the Local History Room.
Atlases & Maps
- Map of Ten Hills of Somerville, 1637
- Somerville Map, 1852
- Atlas of the City of Somerville, 1874
- Atlas of the City of Somerville, 1884
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, 1900 (on microfilm)
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, circa 1933-1940s.
- Mass.: Massachusetts Histories, arranged by author or editor.
- Mass. C: Massachusetts County Histories, arranged alphabetically by county.
- Mass. M: Massachusetts Military Histories.
- Mass. O: Massachusetts Official Documents.
- Mass. S: Massachusetts Society Documents.
- Mass. T: Massachusetts Town Histories. Arranged alphabetically by town.
Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850. Paper. Arranged alphabetically by town, these volumes list birth, death, and marriage information.
The library has copies of the following papers on microfilm.
- Somerville Journal, 1876 to present
- Somerville Citizen, 1888-1901
- Somerville Reporter, 1904-1913
- Somerville News, 1893, 1913-1916
- Somerville Citizen-Democrat, 1932
- West Somerville Reporter & Cambridge World, 1900-1901
- Boston Globe, 1987 to current
The Staff maintains indexes to the Somerville Journal including a subject index for noteworthy topics and events and an obituary index. Researchers should check both the paper card files and the online index for all subjects prior to 1990.