About Your Library Card
- It's Free!
- It's available to any Massachusetts resident 5 years and older. (See below for details!)
- It's needed for all transactions, in person or by telephone.
- It has smartphone stored digital library card info (CardStar & Key Ring options)
- It can be used at the Somerville Central Library, and the East and West Branch locations, as well as throughout the Minuteman Library Network.
- Its information should be kept up to date. Promptly inform the library of any changes in address, email address, or phone number.
- It's a VALUABLE POSSESSION - please treat it as you would a credit card. Report it immediately if lost!
How to Get a Library Card
- Cards may be obtained only in person. The library does not issue cards by mail.
- Adults need to bring a photo I.D. and proof of street address/residency (no P.O. Boxes!), e.g., Mass. ID, driver's license, bills in their name, canceled mail in their name, checkbook, etc. We can mail out a postcard for address verification purposes if needed.
- Children under the age of 18
- must be at least 5 years of age, and must be present in the library at the time of issue.
- present a photo I.D., plus proof of street address/residency (no P.O. Boxes). We can mail out a postcard for address verification, if needed.
- if no photo I.D., a parent's or legal guardian's signature is required, by mail or in person (if in person, the parent or guardian must present a photo I.D. and proof of street address/residency). Non-parental relatives, friends, or neighbors who are not the legal guardian cannot sign for someone else's child.