Somerville Public Library Social Media Policy
The Somerville Public Library uses a variety of social media platforms to engage and inform Library users. These platforms include but are not limited to Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter. Please note that many social media pages used by the Somerville Public Library are hosted by third-party providers, and users are subject to different privacy policies and terms of service. Additionally, social media content is considered permanent public record, subject to Massachusetts Public Record law, and may be disclosed to third parties.
The Library encourages participation on all its social media platforms; however, we ask that users keep postings and comments appropriate for all audiences.
The Library reserves the right to remove any content that is deemed, in its sole view, to be inappropriate. That includes posts that contain:
- Obscene, racist, or sexist content, hate speech, or sexual harassment
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Private or personal information, including phone numbers and addresses, or requests for personal information
- Potentially libelous statements
- Copyrighted material without attribution
- Comments unrelated to the Library or its social media postings
- Commercial promotions, solicitation of funds, or spam
- Illegal material
- Anything that could be considered a violation of the Somerville Public Library Rules of Conduct Policy
The Library also reserves the right to block users who violate this policy.
The Library is not responsible for the content posted by others on its social media platforms. User content is the opinion of the specific author and does not necessarily represent the opinions of the Library.
Engagement with the Somerville Public Library’s social media platforms implies agreementwith all Library policies, including its Library Rules of Conduct and Computer and Internet Use Policy.
Approved by the Somerville Public Library Board of Trustees January 11, 2023.
Reviewed by the Somerville Law Department January 19, 2023.