We are dedicated to turning Somerville kids into Somerville Public Library users and we'd love to meet your class! You can arrange to have a children's librarian visit your school by calling 617-623-5000 x2950.
You can also bring your class to visit the Library! Call us to set up a date, tell us how many kids you'll be bringing, and give us your contact information. When you come, we will:
- tell the kids all about the library
- read some stories
- have time for questions and answers
- give the kids a tour of the children's room so they'll have a general idea of where things are
- encourage kids to ask a librarian whenever they need help (we don't expect them to know everything, even after the tour!)
- give the kids free time to explore with their teachers' supervision and check out books if their teachers allow them to
Is your class working on a special project or subject? Let us know ahead of time and we can pull together a variety of resources for your class to use in the library or check out.
Do your students need to get library cards?
- come to the library to pick up library card applications at least two weeks prior to the date of your class visit (earlier, if possible)
- give the applications to the kids to bring home so their parents or guardians can complete and sign them
- when the students return the applications to you, bring them back to the library (all together in a single group, please) and give them to a librarian
- on the day of your class visit the kids will get their library cards, sign them, and take them home!