We are dedicated to turning Somerville kids into Somerville Public Library users and we'd love to meet your class! You can arrange to have a children's librarian visit your school by emailing or by calling 617-623-5000 x2950.
You can also bring your class to visit the Library! Call or email to set up a date, tell us how many students you'll be bringing, and give us your contact information. When you come, we will:
- Tell students all about the library
- Read some stories
- Have time for questions and answers
- Provide a tour of the children's room so everyone will have a general idea of where things are
- Encourage students to ask a librarian whenever they need help (we don't expect them to know everything, even after the tour)
- Allow for free time to explore with teachers' supervision, and if allowed by teachers, check out a book or two to take home!
Is your class working on a special project or subject? Let us know ahead of time and we can pull together a variety of resources for your class to use in the library or check out.
Do your students need to get library cards?
- Email or call to set up a time for your visit andreceive library card applications -- applications are available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese
- Give the applications to the students to bring home so their parent or guardian can complete and sign the the form
- Bring the completed applications to the library (all together in a single group, please) at least two weeks prior to your visit
- On the day of your class visit, students kids will receive their library cards, sign them, and take them home!