Beginning November 18, 2020, an appointment is no longer needed to pick up your library materials.
Contactless Pickup and Printing Hours:
- Monday-Friday, 9:00am-1:00pm and 2:00-6:00pm at all library locations
- Saturdays from 9:00am-5:00pm at Central Library
- Saturdays from 9:00am-1:00pm at East Branch
- Sunday 1:00-5:00pm at Central Library. Branches are closed on Sundays.
- Library staff will be wearing masks when they prepare your materials, as well as when they place it outside for you to pick up. Per City mandate, please wear a face covering when you come to the library.
How do I request and pick up library materials?
- Step 1: Put items on hold using your Minuteman Account or by calling any Somerville library location.
- Step 2: Wait for an email or phone call that your items are on hold and ready to be picked up.
- Step 3: Come to the Front Entrance Door of the library and knock (or call) to pick up your materials.
How do I request and pick up printed documents?
- Step 1: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach your document to the email, preferably in PDF format.
- If you would like to print pages from a website, include the website address (URL) and detailed instructions regarding which pages you are requesting.
- In your email, indicate the location--Central Library, East Branch, or West @ Tab--where you want to pick up your prints.
Please note: Maximum of 20 pages per day, per person. All prints are free of charge.
- Step 2: When your documents have been printed, library staff will contact you to let you know they are ready to pick up.
- Please note: We will attempt to process your request within 24 hours of receipt. Requests received after 1pm on Friday may not be available until the following Monday.
- Step 3: Come to the Front Entrance Door of the library to pick up your materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I just requested a book. Can I come to the library?
- You may pick up only AFTER receiving a notice from the Library that your items are ready.
- How long will it take to get my item?
- If the item you want is available at one of our locations, and if your request is first in line for it, we should be able to process it fairly quickly. However, if the item you requested is coming from another library, it may take more than a week for your item to be ready for pickup, as we are quarantining all deliveries for 96 hours.
- How much do you charge for printing? And how many pages can I request?
- Printing is free, maximum of 20 pages per person, per day.
- How soon can I pick up my prints?
- We will attempt to process your request within 24 hours of receipt. Requests received after 1pm on Friday may not be available until the following Monday. Contactless printing is offered M-F, 9:00am-1:00pm and 2:00-6:00pm at all library locations; and Saturday 9:00am-1:00pm at the Central and East libraries. Please be aware of our hours of operation and holidays.
- I got an email, so can I come by at any time?
- Pickup hours are:
- Monday – Friday from 9:00am-1:00pm and 2:00-6:00pm.
- Saturdays from 9:00am-5:00pm at the Central Library and 9:00am - 1:00pm at the East Branch. West Branch is closed on Saturdays.
- Sundays from 1:00pm - 5:00pm at the Central Library. East and West Branches are closed on Sundays.
- How does pickup work?
- When you arrive at the library:
- At the Central Library, knock on the Front Entrance Door or call Circulation (617) 623-5000 x2900, and wait for a staff member to come to the door.
- At the East Branch, knock on the Front Entrance Door or call (617) 623-5000 x2970, and wait for a staff member to come to the door.
- At the West Branch, come through the main entrance and up the stairs, and knock on the door. If you need to call, the phone number is (617) 623-5000 x2975.
- We request that you wear a mask, even though you are not coming into the building. Patrons without masks cannot be served.
- Please then wait in the designated Waiting Area while the staff member retrieves your items.
- Your materials will be placed on a table outside the door. Once the staff member is back inside the building, you may come forward and pick it up.
- When will my items be due?
- There will be a due date on your receipt, but we are not charging fines on late returns for the foreseeable future.
- May I come into the library to browse or use a computer?
- For health and safety reasons, we are not able to welcome patrons into the building at this time.
- I have books to return. Can someone take them for me?
- All returns – whether books, CDs, or DVDs – should go in our book drops, which remain open 24/7. We will be emptying them on a regular basis, and there are no late fees for the foreseeable future.
- At the West Branch at TAB (167 Holland St, 2nd floor), the book drop is right outside the door to the library room, and is accessible between 7am and 6pm weekdays. The building is locked on weekends and after 6pm weekdays.