The Somerville Public Library is pleased to offer free computer and Internet access to the public. This service is available any time the Central or branch libraries are open.
Please be aware that cell phone conversations are not permitted in any part of the library. You may use headphones with your laptop or device so long as the sound does not disturb other patrons.
Failure to comply with the Somerville Public Library Computer and Internet Policy may result in the loss of your computer and Internet privileges.
|Central Library||East Branch||West Branch
We regret that we cannot configure your equipment or help you with troubleshooting your device. The Somerville Public Library takes no responsibility for any damage caused to any device from configuration changes or software downloaded while accessing our wireless Internet. The wireless signal and the bandwidth are not within our control; the Library is not responsible if you cannot get on to the Internet at any time. Wireless users accessing the Library's connection must agree to the Somerville Public Library Computer and Internet Policy.
Printing at the Library
Computers print to a shared printer. Wireless printing is also available.
We currently offer free printing of up to 10 black & white pages or 5 color pages per day. Printing in excess of 10 black & white (at $0.15 per page) or five color pages (at $0.30 per page) are paid for at the Reference Desk.
Computer Access at the Central Library
The following computers are available in the main reading room of the Central Library:
- Twelve Windows 10 computers with Microsoft Office; including one ADA-compliant computer and one with access to Adobe Creative Cloud (Creative Cloud requires a login with a (free) Adobe account)
- Three Chromebases offer Internet access only
- Two computers are reserved for 15-minute express use with a dedicated printer
- Ten Chromebooks are available at the Reference Desk for in-house use only
The Teen Room offers the following computers, for teen use only:
- Four Windows 10 computers with Microsoft Office
- Four Chromebooks are available at the Teen Desk for in-house use only
The Children's Room offers the following, for :
- A Windows 10 computer with Microsoft Office
- Three Windows 10 laptops for gaming
- Two Chromebooks are available at the Children's Desk for in-house use only
Computer Access at the East Branch
- Four Windows 10 computers with Microsoft Office installed
- Seven Chromebooks are available at the desk for in-house use only
Computer Access at the temporary West Branch
- A Windows 10 computer with Microsoft Office, reserved for 15-minute express use
- One Chromebook is available at the desk for in-house use only
Rules for Using Computers at the Library
Use of the computers—in the main reading room of the Central Library and at the East Branch—requires a Minuteman Library card. If you do not have a Minuteman Library card, staff at the desk can provide you with a guest pass. The express computer at the West Branch does not require a sign-in in with a library card.
- To use a public computer, sit down at any numbered computer and enter the number on the back of your library card (leaving out the spaces).
- Patrons are allotted two hours a day, with an extension of an additional two hours if no one is waiting. If a patron only uses part of their allotted two hours (e.g. 15 or 20 mins., etc.), the balance of their time remains available.
- Patrons must use their own library card and can only sign up for themselves.
- Only one person at a time may use any single computer.
- Chromebooks are available to be checked out to patrons with valid library cards. Chromebooks have a two hour limit. After the two hour limit, patrons will be charged a late fee of $5.00 per hour.
- Problems with the computers/network/Internet are often beyond the control of library staff. If you lose a portion of your time due to such problems, librarians may try give you more time, at their discretion; however, this may not always be possible.
- Express computers (standing computer stations at Central) are designed for quick use, such as checking email, printing tickets, etc. These express stations are first-come, first-serve, do not require a sign-in, and usage is strictly limited to 15 minutes. If express computers are use, you are welcome to wait.
- Printing is sent to the attached printers, and printouts in excess of the 10 free black & white pages are paid for at the Reference Desk.