English as a Second Language
There are a number of resources for learning English as a second language (ESL) through the Somerville Public Library:
Classes are free, and registration is not required. There is no waiting list - just show up!
Please Note: ESL classes will resume on Monday, January 9, 2017.
Session 1: Mondays 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Session 2: Mondays 7:15-8:15 p.m.
Session 1 and 2: Tuesdays 6:00-7:30 p.m.
40 College Ave
Session 1: Thursdays 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Session 2: Thursdays 7:15-8:15 p.m.
- A great collection of ESL materials including books, audiotapes, CDs, and videos on the following subjects: grammar, reading & writing, listening, pronunciation, citizenship, lifeskills, idioms, TOEFL and GED.
- A "language lab" type database (Mango Languages) that you can use at home through your computer to learn and practice English
- Lists of outside agencies in Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston which also teach English as a second language, such as the YMCA of Greater Boston
Would you like to help out with teaching in our English-As-A-Second-Language program? If yes, please email our ESL coordinator.
The Mango Languages database, available from the Library through your computer at home, has language training and practice for English for speakers of other languages
(Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian, Vietnamese, etc.) You will need to have a Somerville library card, and be a Somerville resident. Click on the picture above, then click on "Start Learning," then click on "English Courses" to see what this database offers.
Other ESL Programs in Somerville, Cambridge, & Boston
- A long, descriptive list of ESL programs in Somerville, with contact information.
- Brazilian American Language Institute, 371 Somerville Ave., 617-666-4558, $76 mo
- Catholic Charities, 270 Washington St., 617-625-1920, $15
- Notre Dame Education Center, 15 Tower Court St., 617-628-3196, Books $20
- Somerville Public Schools. Parent Information Center, 1060 Broadway, 617-625-6600, ext. 6964
- Somerville Evening School, 81 Highland Ave, 617-628-2594, $100
- Somerville High Community Summer School, 81 Highland Ave, 617-625-6600, ext.6100, $100-130
- Welcome Project, 35 A Memorial Rd. #11, 617-623-6633
- SCALE (Somerville Center for Adult Learning Experiences), 167 Holland St., (617) 625-6600 x6900. Free, but approx. 1 yr. waiting list for Somerville residents. Longer for non-residents.
- Cambridge Center for Adult Ed., 42 Brattle St., 617-547-6789, $120-240
- Community Learning Center, 19 Brookline St, 617-349-6363, Free
- New England School of English, Box 12, 617-864-7170, $1175 plus $90 for 4 weeks
- YMCA of Greater Boston, 316 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115,
- 617-536-7800, less than $5