We are excited to announce our 2020 garden workshop schedule! Check back here or on our Facebook event page for updates.
Due to social distancing guidelines, workshops will be videotaped and shared on our YouTube channel until we are safely able to meet in person.
- Friday, April 24: Planting Day. View the videos made by our farmer Dani as she removes the winter cover, conditions and fertilizes the soil, and sows seeds and plants seedlings.
- Saturday, May 30: Trellising and Thinning
- Saturday, June 13: Summer Crop Planting
- Thursday, July 16: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, August 1: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, August 22: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, September 12: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, October 3: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, October 24: Harvest, Winterize, and plan for Garden 2021!
For more information about the SPL's Food For Thought urban gardening initiative, contact Meg at email@example.com.
The Somerville Public Library’s Food for Thought urban gardening initiative started in April 2019 with a federal grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. Our mission is to engage Somerville residents’ interest in gardening and urban agriculture, to develop their capacity to garden at home in containers and the small green spaces available in our community, and to promote and teach health and wellness through lectures and hands-on experiences. Programming is anchored by two raised bed teaching gardens installed on the library lawn and will include gardening and cooking workshops and activities for all ages throughout the 2020 growing season.
Check out this mini-documentary of highlights from our first growing season, courtesy of our community partners, the Somerville Media Center.