We are excited to announce our 2020 garden workshop schedule! Check back here for updates, or sign up for the library's weekly event newsletter.
The following workshops are suitable for teens and adults, and are conducted by a farmer from Green City Growers. Wear your garden clothes and get ready to get your hands dirty! As the season progresses, there will be produce to harvest and bring home. Workshops begin at 1pm and last about an hour.
- Saturday, May 23: Trellising and Thinning
- Saturday, June 13: Summer Crop Planting
- Saturday, July 11: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, August 1: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, August 22: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, September 12: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, October 3: Maintain, Harvest, Plant, and Learn
- Saturday, October 24: Harvest, Winterize, and plan for Garden 2021!
For more information about the SPL's Food For Thought urban gardening initiative, contact Meg at email@example.com or (617)623-5000 x2961.
The Somerville Public Library’s Food for Thought urban gardening initiative started in April 2019 with a federal grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. Our mission is to engage Somerville residents’ interest in gardening and urban agriculture, to develop their capacity to garden at home in containers and the small green spaces available in our community, and to promote and teach health and wellness through lectures and hands-on experiences. Programming is anchored by two raised bed teaching gardens installed on the library lawn and will include gardening and cooking workshops and activities for all ages throughout the 2020 growing season.
Check out this mini-documentary of highlights from our first growing season, courtesy of our community partners, the Somerville Media Center.