Central Hill Park was the first public parkland in Somerville. Created in 1870 with the purchase of 38 acres by the City (price tag: about $38,000), the lot spanned Highland Avenue between Walnut and School streets, and bordered by Medford Street on the north. Public buildings included City Hall, the high school, the Central Library, and a fire station which was relocated early in the 20th century.
Central Hill was the site of Revolutionary War fortifications, and the park originally featured a fountain and a scenic overlook with a reconstructed battery flanked by cannons that were used in the defense of Washington during the Civil War. The overlook was approximately where the parking lot to the west of the Central Library is located today.
See more Central Hill Park photos in our new Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoMbT5v