Free public internet access 24/7.
To use the SPL Free Wi-Fi Popup:
- Find an open workspace. Each workspace is limited to one table and two chairs.
- Only one individual (or one party of two) per workspace.
- You may connect to the Wi-Fi with your own device; outlets are provided if you need to plug in.
- Wi-Fi and lighting are available 24/7.
- Each workspace has an adjustable heater that will be on during the library's open hours (see hours below).
Using the Popup Chromebooks:
- You may use a Chromebook for up to 2 hours a day. Chromebooks are available during the library's open hours (see hours below).
- You can log in to the Chromebooks using your library barcode, or with a temporary barcode provided by library staff.
- You can print by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and specifying that you are using the Wi-Fi Pop-Up space at Central.
- Reminder that you may have up to 20 pages printed for free daily.
- Chromebooks will stop working if they are removed from the area. They are only designed for use in the immediate area around the Central Library.
- Network name: SPL Outdoor Wi-Fi (massmesh.org)
- No password is needed!
- Wear a mask at all times in accordance with the Somerville Board of Health emergency order to slow the spread of COVID-19: Everyone over 2 years old must wear a clean face covering, such as a fabric mask, scarf, or bandana, over their mouth and nose in all indoor and outdoor public spaces in Somerville.
- Do not adjust the umbrellas or move any of the furniture.
- Limit your time in the workspace to 2 hours if you see someone waiting.
- When you’re finished using the workspace, please wipe down the area. Hand sanitizer and wipes are located on a table outside the main entrance.
- Make sure to take your trash with you, or dispose of it in nearby trash and recycling barrels.
Hours of Operation
Internet and lights are available 24/7. Heaters are available during the hours listed below. Chromebooks are available to be checked out during the hours listed below.
- Monday to Friday 9am-12:15pm and 2pm-4:15pm. The Library is closed for service from 1-2pm.
- Saturday 9:15am-4:15pm.
- Sunday 1pm-4:15pm.
- The Wi-Fi Pop-Up may not be used during inclement weather.
- Library staff reserves the right to close the Wi-Fi Pop-Up as necessary..
Free printing is available (up to 20 pages per day) when the library is open. Email your print request to email@example.com, or call 617-623-5000, x2955, specifying that you are outside, then wait at main service door and let staff know you are waiting to pick up printing.
Support and Troubleshooting
Out of an abundance of caution, we are not able to assist with person-to-person troubleshooting related to tech devices. If you have a cell phone and are able to call, we can try to assist you. Call 617-623-5000, x2955.
The SPL Free Wi-Fi Pop-Up is made possible with support from the Somerville Public Library Foundation, Mass Mesh, and Culture House.